Federal Grants

Pell Grants


A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, is a gift aid award that does not have to be repaid. Filing a FAFSA is required to determine Federal Pell Grant eligibility.  Federal Pell Grants are need-based aid that is federally funded for educational expenses by the U. S. Department of Education awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a Baccalaureate or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) Federal Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources might be added.

How much can I get?

The maximum Federal Pell Grant awarded for the 2012-13 award year and for the 2013-14 award year is $5,550. The amount you are eligible to receive will depend not only on your financial need, but also on your costs to attend school, your status as a full-time or part-time student, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. Note: The maximum award amount is given for any Federal Pell Grant eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001. You must be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of your parent's or guardian's death.

 Beginning with the 2012-2013 award year, students have a 12 semester or payment period duration limit which is the equivalent of six years of Federal Pell Grant funding. The Federal Pell Grant rules establish for any year in which a student receives Federal Pell Grant funding a “Scheduled Award”. A student whose actual disbursement of Federal Pell Grant funds for an award year was equal to his or her Scheduled Award would have used 100% of the Scheduled Award for the award year. The maximum duration of Federal Pell Grant funding for a student is 600%. A student who enrolled less-than full-time or not for the full academic year, or both, would receive less than his or her Scheduled Award and would have used less than 100 percent of that award year’s Scheduled Award.

The COD System uses Federal Pell Grant disbursement information reported by institutions since the beginning of the Federal Pell Grant program to calculate a student’s Federal Pell Grant LEU by adding together each of the annual percentages of the student’s Federal Pell Grant Scheduled Award that was actually disbursed to the student.

If I am eligible, how will I get the Pell Grant money?

Federal Pell Grant funds are applied to your student account to cover your educational costs, (tuition, fees, etc.)  Once all financial aid awarded has been applied your educational costs and they final result produces a credit balance that amount will generate a residual check for that payment period.


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)


The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) will be considered first for a FSEOG. Just like Pell Grants, the FSEOG does not have to be repaid.  A FAFSA must be completed to see if a one is eligible. 

How much can I get?

You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on when you apply, your financial need, the funding at the school you're attending, and the policies of the financial aid office at your school.

If I am eligible, how will I get the FSEOG money?

If you're eligible, your school will credit your student account. Your school must pay you at least once per term/semester or payment period.


Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)


TEACH is a non-need-based grant federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education and awarded by the Financial Aid Office to undergraduate, graduate, and post-baccalaureate students who agree to teach for at least four years within eight years of finishing their teacher preparation program as full-time “high-qualified” teachers in high-need fields in public or not-for-profit private elementary or secondary schools that serve students from low-income families.

For more information link to (http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/TEACH.jsp)


What determines eligibility for a TEACH Grant?.hout academic program.


  • Must score above the 75th percentile on a national standardized college admissions test, OR
  • Have a cumulative high school graduate GPA of at least 3.25 and maintain that GPA throughout academic program.
  • Be enrolled in a teacher education program in one of the following:
- Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
- Foreign Language
- Mathematics
- Reading Specialist
- Science
- Special Education

Federal Work Study


Federal Work-Study is a program that offers part-time, on-campus jobs that are made available for students with financial need.  Again, a FAFSA must be completed to see if a one is eligible for Work-study. 

Important points about work-study include:

  • Eligibility is based on financial need.
  • Students may work when not in class
  • Work usually is limited to twenty hours each week. 
  • Job referrals for on-campus jobs are made through the student employment

    area of our office. Job referrals are available.


What is Federal Work-Study?


The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to each student’s course of study.

How much will I make?

You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage, but the amount might be higher depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply and your level of need.

How will I be paid?

If you’re an undergraduate, you’ll be paid by the hour. You will be paid twice a month. You may use the money to pay for your institutional charges such as tuition, fees, and room and board.


Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

Both. If you work on campus, you’ll usually work for your school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private, non-profit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest.